- 1 lb vegetables (mix of your choice)
- 1 tsp garlic or herb salt
- 2 salmon fillets (4½ oz) at room temperature
- Spicy herb mix: 2 tsp light brown sugar, 1 tsp ground cilantro, 1½ tsp paprika powder, ½ tsp cayenne pepper, ½ tsp black pepper, ½ tsp salt
Makes two smoked salmon fillets with vegetables
1. Start by preheating the grill/barbecue (450°F). The salmon can also be smoked inside an oven, but this is not recommended because of the strong smell of smoke while smoking the salmon.
2. Wash the vegetables and cut them into large chunks. Suggested vegetables: potatoes, onions, peppers, zucchini, mushrooms. Mix the vegetables with the salt and place in one layer in the smoking bag.
3. Dab the salmon fillets dry with kitchen paper and rub the spicy herb mix over the salmon fillets (also known as ‘dry rubbing’). Place them alongside the vegetable mix in the smoking bag.
4. Fold the smoking bag tightly and place it directly onto the griddle. Grill for at least 15 minutes (juicy and tender) to 20 minutes (firm).