For the open sandwich with rye bread and salmon
- 2 – 3 slices of smoked salmon
- 2 slices of rye bread
- 1 snack cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 ripe avocado
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- Optional: salt and pepper
For the pomegranate relish
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
- ½ cup pomegranate juice
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
Makes two slices of rye bread with salmon.
1. First make the pomegranate relish by mixing all the ingredients (except the pomegranate seeds) in a bowl. Place it in the refrigerator for at least one hour so that all the flavors can mingle and the red onion can marinate.
2. Mash the avocado in a bowl, add the lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper. Spread a generous layer of the avocado mixture onto the rye bread and add 1½ slices of smoked salmon on the top.
3. Remove the pomegranate relish from the refrigerator and add the pomegranate seeds. Mix well and serve with the open sandwich with rye bread and salmon.
Tip: this delicious sweet-sour relish can make any meal special. Try it with a pan-fried salmon fillet, or with a tender piece of chicken.